Hebrews 13:3 reminds us, “Continue to remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.”
Did you know that at least 100 million Christians are being persecuted for their faith worldwide? According to recent statistics from the missionary organization, Open Doors USA, this month over 770 forms of violence will be committed against Christians, 214 church properties will be destroyed, and over 320 Christians will be killed because of their faith in Christ.
Leaders within our own church family, the Church of God of Prophecy, have not been immune to this persecution. Within the past year, we’ve learned of attacks on our ministers, the burning of their vehicles, and prayed against numerous death threats. In early October 2015, in just one nation, fifteen of our ministers were imprisoned for their faith. Recently, we learned of a bounty of $150 placed on one of our national ministry leaders and his young son.
Throughout the month of November we are inviting the global family of the Church of God of Prophecy to unite our hearts in praying for our persecuted brothers and sisters all around the world.
We are one body and when one member of our body suffers, we all suffer. When one rejoices, we all rejoice. As one body with the persecuted believers, we must be mindful to prayerfully support our brothers and sisters who are suffering today because of their faith. Thank you for joining us in prayer!
Join with us in praying for our persecuted brothers and sisters in the following ways:
- Pray for boldness and courage (Deuteronomy 31:6).
- Pray for strength from the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 3:16).
- Pray that they will remember God’s love for them (Ephesians 3:17).
- Pray that they would know how to fearlessly share the Gospel (Ephesians 6:19, 20; Colossians 4:2–4).
- Pray they will see God’s grace as sufficient and His power perfected in their weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9, 10).
- Pray that they would rejoice in sharing the sufferings of Jesus so that they will rejoice even more when Christ is revealed (Hebrews 10:34).
- Pray that they will endure (Hebrews 5:8).
- Pray that they would have hope (Ephesians 1:18).
- Pray for their protection and deliverance (Matthew 26:39, Philippians 1:19, Philemon 22).
To download the Prayer Guide/Bulletin Insert, click here.
Additional Prayer Resources
- Please Pray for Us, by Johan Companjen (Bethany House Publishers, ISBN 0764224166)
- The Persecuted Church Prayer Devotional: Interceding for the Suffering Church, by Beverly J. Pegues (InterVarsity Press, ISBN 0830857354)
- Singing Through the Night: Courageous Stories of Faith from Women in the Persecuted Church, by Anneke Companjen (Baker Publishing Group, ISBN 1441238891)