Praying for Lost Loved Ones
2 Peter 3:9 – The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
Prayers for the salvation of loved ones carry great power because they are in agreement with God’s passion to save all those who are lost. To us, they are sons, daughters, grandchildren, brothers, sisters, moms, and dads. God knows them even more personally. Though one’s heart may seem far from salvation, God’s presence to save is near to them. Regardless of the darkness surrounding their life, the best thing you can do for your loved ones is to pray for their salvation.
- Pray that your loved one will understand their need for the Savior (Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23)
- Pray for their eyes to be opened to the truth of God’s love and salvation (Acts 26:18; 2 Corinthians 3:16)
- Pray that the light of Jesus Christ will shine into your loved one’s heart (2 Corinthians 4:6)
- Pray with repentance of your own sin and the sins of generations before you that may have influenced your loved one in their choices (Daniel 9:20)
- Pray for the oppressed in your family to be set free (Isaiah 58:6)
- Pray for and opportunity and boldness of the Spirit to share the life-changing gospel (Acts 4:31)
- Pray praise God with the assurance that it is God’s desire to save your loved one (Luke 19:10; Romans 10:1; 1 Timothy 2:4)
ADDITIONAL PRAYER RESOURCES:
- How to Pray for Lost Loved Ones, by Dutch Sheets (Published by Regal Books, ISBN: 0739419676)
- Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough, by Elmer L. Towns (Published by Regal Books, ISBN: 0830718397) – There is a great chapter here about fasting with a directive to win others to Christ.
Download this prayer guide as a bulletin insert here. Let us know you are praying with us by using #COGOPprays on social media to share your requests, inspirations, and praise reports.